Thursday, August 20, 2009

in shock

My man, Sgt. D, reserved a spot in the 432nd last week and I start basic on January 12, 2010 at Fort Jackson, SC and AIT on March 29 at Fort Bragg, NC. So, how is this going to work? I've never shot a gun or weapon before. Held a rifle over the winter that looked as though it came from the civil war....felt evil. I wonder if the army offers a bow & arrow option. Actually, I've managed to spin the negativity. I figure if I live alone, I'll have sweeter dreams with an AK-47 under my pillow. Not exactly sure what an AK-47 is, it may be overkill.

Truth is, at the time of this writing, I'm fearful. Acknowledging my progesterone, estrogen, and endorphin levels are near zero (sorry guys, but its my blog), I've been throwing back seeds & berries all day, pushing- and sitting- the ups, and contemplating the 'what if's'. Last resort, graduate school. Armed with a back-up plan seems to help move me forward.

So, I meet my Commander tomorrow in Green Bay. I asked my daughter if she wanted to come along. Interestingly, she said yes. I like the way her mind works.

Frontline World recently aired a documentary about children in Pakistan. Children of the Taliban is a disturbing look at the 'education' of boy jihadists and the Taliban's thoughts about girls and women. No matter who I'm wearing, I'll always be a mother first, occasionally surpassed by gender, then a 'gun-toting diplomat'.

No comments:

Post a Comment